**Youth Communication will host a #trending Professional Development session on Thursday, February 9, 2018, from 9:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Location: Youth Communication, 242 W. 38th St. 6th Fl. New York, NY 10018. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to participate in this training .**
#trending is a middle school resource that is fun and engaging for youth, easy-to-use for staff, and supports literacy and Social and Emotional Learning (SEL).
- Meets structured enrichment (literacy) mandate
- Tested approach—easy to use
- Strengthen social and emotional learning
#trending features 36 true stories by teens with session plans on the following themes:
• Exploring Identity • Friendships that Matter • Being Healthy • From Bystanders to Allies • Love & Relationships • You & the World • Challenging Stereotypes • Peer Pressure • Sadness, Stress, Anger • Culture & Diversity • Success in School • Me & My Family
“The stories make my students more comfortable opening up about their experiences. It helps us build tools to address and deal with problems that are new, arising, or will come up in their journey through middle school and beyond. The stories feel very relevant to them.” —Group Leader, Bronx SONYC program
97.6% of participants report that the training made them better able to provide a safe space for youth.
Youth Communication supports program implementation of #trending with:
• Professional Development (one-day training)
• Coaching Sessions (two or more)
• Curriculum Guides (one for each staff member that attends training)
• Anthologies of true stories written by teens (12 per trained staff member)